My 26 Hour Trip - '16 Tucson -s : | platizazvonok.ru
13Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member

Zurdo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
location: South Florida
Drives 2016 Molten Silver Tucson Limited/Ultimate
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Zurdo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My 26 Hour Trip - '16 Tucson

Just thought I'd post about the first long trip I took in my Tucson.

We are among those who left South Florida to get out of the path of Hurricane Irma.

We prepped the house, put up the storm shutters, turned off the water, loaded up the Tucson and headed out with our 65 lb dog.

We left the Fort Lauderdale area and headed for Nashville (other half's company set up a temp office here to keep ops running until Miami gets power back).

It ended up being a 26 hour adventure given the crazy traffic, search for gas from Gainesville north and no hotel vacancies along the way. We tried to rest in the Tucson but our dog was not happy so we decided to trek on.

I can definitely say that for me the Tucson is comfortable. I drove the whole way, so basically sat in the driver's seat for 26 hours. When the trip was over, I had no stiffness, aches or pains, nothing. I felt great despite being tired.

When not stuck in traffic I was able to get up to 34 mpg.

The Tucson handled really well, also. No DCT problems, great ride, great acceleration, used CarPlay and Apple Maps and had no problems.

I would have liked to have had adaptive cruise control, but regular cruise control did just fine.

The experience was enough to convince me that if I needed to replace my Tucson today, I'd get another one. It really behaved like a champ.

We're hoping to get home by the end of the week. Our neighbors let us know our house is fine so we're good to go.

Last edited by Zurdo; 09-11-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Zurdo is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Member

CO-PILOT's Avatar

Join Date: May 2017
location: Houston,Texas USA
Drives 2016 tucson limited 1.6 t & 2002 Dodge Ram quad cab
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
CO-PILOT is an unknown quantity at this point
That's great!!.......glad to hear the Tucson did good & also glad to hear you, the family & house are ok....
Zurdo and jb in az like this.
CO-PILOT is offline
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member

Zurdo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
location: South Florida
Drives 2016 Molten Silver Tucson Limited/Ultimate
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Zurdo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-PILOT View Post
That's great!!.......glad to hear the Tucson did good & also glad to hear you, the family & house are ok....

Thanks. We're fortunate... a lot of people got clobbered.
Zurdo is offline

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Senior Member

wallyjay's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
location: Maryland USA
Drives 2016 Tuscon Limited/Ultimate AWD 2017 SantaFe Sport 2.4 FWD
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
wallyjay is an unknown quantity at this point
Good to hear you came our pretty much unscathed. And good report on the car.
Zurdo likes this.
wallyjay is offline
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Senior Member

solman98's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
location: Dallas GA
Drives 2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M 2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T
Posts: 2,396
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
solman98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garage
Glad you made it out in time. Been watching it closely here in Atlanta.
Zurdo likes this.

2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M Shimmering Silver. LED interior lights, cargo mat and net. 35/20% tint. LED tag and back up lights. LED fogs. LED headlights, homelink, 225/45R17 91V PureContacts.
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T 7A Caribbean Blue. Hitch, tint, mudguards, homelink, cargo cover, LED back up and tag lights, power pass seat lumbar installed, LED fogs, aftermarket crossbars for the roof.
solman98 is offline
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Junior Member

Join Date: Aug 2017
location: Madison, WI USA
Drives 2015 Elantra(leased) 2018 Tucson Limited AWD Dec 2017(above lease expires)
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Kdreamer1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear your Tucson with the DCT did great. I really want a Tucson, but the stories I have been reading the past several months about the DCT really scare me in spending $25,000USD for a car that 'may' likely have issues on an on-going basis. I know it is not every car and I keep reading about how you need to pay attention the DCT when driving, but honestly you should not have to pay that close attention to the transmission when you are driving and ensuring you are driving it correctly. Honestly, for that kind of money, there should be not a reason why a person would need to pay attention that closely as to how you press the pas pedal or foot on the brake or creeping in traffic etc....it should work without giving it a moments notice like a straight transmission does. I am still at a cross road and might have to move away from Hyundai altogether, since the Santa Fe is out of my price range and the lower end Tucson's do not have the amenities I am looking for. It is sad to be honest. I would think with all the issues and troubles they have had that they would take that out for the MY 2018 and put a straight trans in it like the Kia models have...oh well, just my rant for the day I guess. I am glad you made it out safely and I hope all is well with everything once you get back.
Zurdo likes this.
Kdreamer1 is offline
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2015
location: USA
Drives 2016 Tucson Eco AWD
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
gggplaya is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdreamer1 View Post
Glad to hear your Tucson with the DCT did great. I really want a Tucson, but the stories I have been reading the past several months about the DCT really scare me in spending $25,000USD for a car that 'may' likely have issues on an on-going basis. I know it is not every car and I keep reading about how you need to pay attention the DCT when driving, but honestly you should not have to pay that close attention to the transmission when you are driving and ensuring you are driving it correctly. Honestly, for that kind of money, there should be not a reason why a person would need to pay attention that closely as to how you press the pas pedal or foot on the brake or creeping in traffic etc....it should work without giving it a moments notice like a straight transmission does. I am still at a cross road and might have to move away from Hyundai altogether, since the Santa Fe is out of my price range and the lower end Tucson's do not have the amenities I am looking for. It is sad to be honest. I would think with all the issues and troubles they have had that they would take that out for the MY 2018 and put a straight trans in it like the Kia models have...oh well, just my rant for the day I guess. I am glad you made it out safely and I hope all is well with everything once you get back.
I think only the Honda CRV with the 1.5T and the torque converter CVT is really only the comparable vehicle to the tucson in terms of drive, quietness and ride quality.
gggplaya is offline
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Senior Member

HDHyundiaGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
location: South Carolina
Drives 2016 Elantra (Wife) Drives 2016 Tucson Limited
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
HDHyundiaGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurdo View Post
Just thought I'd post about the first long trip I took in my Tucson.

We are among those who left South Florida to get out of the path of Hurricane Irma.

We prepped the house, put up the storm shutters, turned off the water, loaded up the Tucson and headed out with our 65 lb dog.

We left the Fort Lauderdale area and headed for Nashville (other half's company set up a temp office here to keep ops running until Miami gets power back).

It ended up being a 26 hour adventure given the crazy traffic, search for gas from Gainesville north and no hotel vacancies along the way. We tried to rest in the Tucson but our dog was not happy so we decided to trek on.

I can definitely say that for me the Tucson is comfortable. I drove the whole way, so basically sat in the driver's seat for 26 hours. When the trip was over, I had no stiffness, aches or pains, nothing. I felt great despite being tired.

When not stuck in traffic I was able to get up to 34 mpg.

The Tucson handled really well, also. No DCT problems, great ride, great acceleration, used CarPlay and Apple Maps and had no problems.

I would have liked to have had adaptive cruise control, but regular cruise control did just fine.

The experience was enough to convince me that if I needed to replace my Tucson today, I'd get another one. It really behaved like a champ.

We're hoping to get home by the end of the week. Our neighbors let us know our house is fine so we're good to go.
The Weather Channel is as accurate as a blind knife thrower....Glad your home was not affected.

How did your AC do in the Tucson being on all those hours?

Last time in Florida, I left Sanibel Island and way before hitting I4, no air other than warm coming out....
Zurdo likes this.
HDHyundiaGuy is offline
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member

Zurdo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
location: South Florida
Drives 2016 Molten Silver Tucson Limited/Ultimate
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Zurdo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHyundiaGuy View Post
The Weather Channel is as accurate as a blind knife thrower....Glad your home was not affected.

How did your AC do in the Tucson being on all those hours?

Last time in Florida, I left Sanibel Island and way before hitting I4, no air other than warm coming out....
Interesting question. The AC was running the whole time. In the last leg, during the last couple of hours before getting to Nashville there was a glitch. I'm not sure if it was user error or not.

What happened is that the ambient air temp was only in the 70's and I put the AC temp down lower than normal (to "Low" and in the 60's) and the fan wasn't blowing well at all and the cabin wasn't getting cool enough. We had been playing with the settings (Auto, the dual air and hitting the AC button). I think we may have turned off the AC without realizing it because at one point I hit Auto and the fan speed went to normal and the air got cold fast. It stayed cold for the rest of the trip.

I'll see how it does on the return.
Zurdo is offline
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member

Zurdo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
location: South Florida
Drives 2016 Molten Silver Tucson Limited/Ultimate
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Zurdo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
Glad you made it out in time. Been watching it closely here in Atlanta.
Man, the traffic around and in Atlanta is bad! Our unexpected delays put us about 70 miles south of Atlanta during morning rush and 75 was backed up. Much of the problem was people like us leaving FL. As it got later, the traffic didn't get any better. Couldn't wait to get north of the city. And the drivers are as bad as those in South Florida LOL.

On the return we will hit Atlanta late at night, stay and then leave early the next morning so I hope it goes better.
Zurdo is offline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the platizazvonok.rus : platizazvonok.ru forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


2007 hyundai elantra tire sizeaz car clubshyundai canada forumidle air control valve replacementremoving crank pulleylease buyoutsxenon hid conversionhow to replace wheel studnoise when turning steering wheelblanking egrheater door actuatorjeep compass alternator replacementhyundai tucson australiablue devil sealeregr valve insufficient flowauto tint scarboroughhow many miles is 16kwindshield black dotsdefective mass air flow sensor symptomsdashboard cleanereurow sheepskin seat coversdroid charge problemsmocca tucsonsway bar link repair costhyundai hardinweathertech vs husky matssiriusxm clock radioinstall a subwoofercoupon uberbently wingshyundai sonata 2008 enginerear brake caliper replacement costhow to reduce turbo lag in diesel enginesez pass pa where to buydipped wheels2003 hyundai elantra oil filterhyundaicirclegenesis coupe exhaust systemplasti dip rims gunmetalthe warranty group carmaxfront and rear brake replacement costpower steering fluid leak causeshow to reset the ecmpsi tucsoncree headlight bulbshyundai sonata shifting problemssuntrup hyundai south countyexhaust hanger brackethow to wire subs to amptiburon translationdonut spareloaner tools advance autocar engine ticking noise3m prep solvent 70overfilling oil symptomssears car batteries diehardhow much does it cost to replace tire pressure sensorcamshaft position sensor wiring harnessretrofit projectornew ceramic brake pads squealclicking sound while drivingnormal parasitic drawinstalling an engine block heateramerican recorder spl 8810replace stud on wheelrbc employee discountshyundai getz gl 2005honda crv key fob batteryhyundai genesis 2.0t mpgobd forumoil pressure light flickersrear strut mount noiseinstalling subwoofer and ampequus badgehyundai accent sedan vs hatchbacksears x cargo xlwhat does gls stand forwheel bolt pattern interchangehead unit mounting kitwhat is bank 1 and bank 2 on o2 sensorhow to install window visorspictures of hyundai sonataweathertech car covercost of oil change at hyundai dealershiphyundai diesel canada