Join Date: Oct 2012
location: Ajax, Ontario Canada
2013 Elantra GT SE Tech
2014 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How do I safely undo this mess Canadian Tire did? Advice?
Here is the story:
1. Called about a week and a half ago to have Corrosion Free applied to my car. Called a local Canadian Tire who does this in my area, and they tell me to come in before 5:30pm that day to have it done (it was approx 4:20ish). I drop the wife off at work, and get there at 4:45pm, only to be told that they are too busy and to come back again. No appointments. I complain softly and leave. I call another place that does the Corrosion Free, but they are too busy to get me in over the next several weeks.
2. Reluctantly go back this past Saturday am at 8:15. They tell me its an hour and a half. I sign a work order for the "Complete" package, which costs approx $140. Warrantied by Corrosion Free, for any rust.
3. I leave Canadian Tire, get back at 10am. I see my car has not even been moved yet.
4. Browse the store and wait until approx 11:15am. Service guy calls me over and says they had a problem...ran out of product to apply to the car and did not finish the job. Says the doors were done, trunk hinges, and bottom of the car, but some trim and such needs to be finished. Tells me that they will only charge the $50 package, and I can pay the $50 package later on to finish the job and save me some money. Says warranty will still be in effect.
5. I get out to my car and see the mess left on the car. Brown grease all over the place (some pics attached). I get home, and wife gets pissed, tells me to clean the crap off. I clean up the wheel wells, and the drivers side, and then I realize that I should take some pics as this might not be Corrosion Free (it was supposed to be clear). So I take the attached pics, and email Corrosion Free the pictures, and questions about the warranty.
6. Get a few calls from Corrosion Free today. When I finally get back to him, Jeff (Corrosion Free) tells me to bring the car back, and that the pics I showed him were not of their product. He also gives me the service manager's name, and to talk to him to get this applied correctly. Tells me to call him on his personal cell phone when I go to see Canadian Tire so that he can talk to the service manager too. Seemed really concerned that Canadian Tire would do this.
So here is my issue; I have all this grease crap on my car. I know the stuff I can see is NOT Corrosion Free, and I suspect the stuff I can't see is also not Corrosion Free (due to me seeing similar grease on the wheel wells). Also been smelling a burned rubber/grease type of smell in the mornings after driving the car to work. I don't know if this is normal for Corrosion Free, or because of the grease Canadian Tire applied.
So, is it safe to try to remove the grease/whatever Canadian Tire applied? Of course I would demand they do it, but is there a safe way to remove it without affecting the belts and hoses and such? Would grease typically break down the life of the components there (ie. do I even need to have it removed?)